Linux-Hams archive - May 1997: DNS

DNS

Mike Bilow ()
Mon, 05 May 97 21:45:00 -0000

Simon J Mudd wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

SJM> This is my config on my home machine (I'm not really a ampr.org
SJM> primary, but I've told my pc I am, and have a copy of the
SJM> ampr.org domain on the local disk.

Don't set yourself up as primary when you're not. Otherwise, you will furnish
authoritative answers to others if they query you, and they will be wrong.

If you really want to have the whole AMPR.ORG zone file on your disk, then set
yourself up as secondary so you can't hurt anything. If you don't want your
secondary server to update the zone file automatically, supply a fake address
in your own named.boot file for the zone master. At least this way, when your
unrefreshed zone file does eventually expire, you will stop setting the
authoritative answer bit.

On the other hand, why bother to have the AMPR.ORG zone file on your disk if
you are not going to operate as a real secondary and update it? You are never
going to need the vast majority of the file, and your server will cache
whatever it gets from the real servers.

-- Mike